Alpha Chi Omega kicks it for charity

Rubber balls, live music, food and schoolyard-style kickball filled the scene at Sorority Park on Sunday as Alpha Chi Omega hosted one of its annual philanthropy events, “Kick it for Kids,” benefiting victims of domestic violence.

The event consisted of a winner-and- loser bracket style kickball tournament in which teams of eight people could buy their way into the tournament. While kickball action was taking place on the field, live music from Dana Falconberry, a musician that played at South by Southwest, filled the air as those not in the action enjoyed food, games and prizes.

All proceeds from the fundraiser will benefit Genesis Women’s Shelter, a local shelter for victims of domestic violence here in Dallas.

According to Alpha Chi Omega sorority member Blair Brown, domestic abuse is a large problem for many around the world, as well as for the women and children of the U.S. down to the local community.

“Around the world, at least one in three women have been abused, and in the U.S. 31 percent of women have reported being abused by a husband or boyfriend,” she said. “As a result, we try and raise money and awareness for the issue, and the money that goes to Genesis Women’s Shelter helps provide quality safety and shelter to battered women and their children.”

According to Brown, Alpha Chi Omega has been able to raise over $15,000 for the Genesis Women’s Shelter through various philanthropy events this school year.