Goodbye to Pony High

Goodbye to Pony High
Goodbye to Pony High

Goodbye to Pony High

Thousands of parking tickets and four new bumpers later thanks to all the law students who’ve hit my car over the years and a bunch of “grody Jody days” under my belt, it’s time to say goodbye to SMU. Since I began working at The Daily Campus I’ve spouted out criticism, editorials, praise and photographs, but this is just weird and bittersweet all at the same time. The Daily Campus has become a home for me – a bitter, dysfunctional, but amusing family – but a family nonetheless, and I couldn’t ask for anything better.

First off, no one would be reading this page if it weren’t for Ric Martin. You are a jewel, foregoing time with your family so a bunch of college kids can try to be journalists, advertisers and photographers. Your patience, guidance and support have gotten me through some long nights throughout the years. You are amazing! I wish you well in you endeavors after graduation.

Robert Frost wrote, “I took the path less traveled and that has made all of the difference.” I might be the only student up here who has been involved in student media in some form or fashion for the past four and half years, but I don’t regret any decision I’ve made at SMU. While my GPA might disagree, it’s been worth it hands down.

One of the privileges of working at The Daily Campus for so long is that you get to pick which stories you want to write or photograph. And I’ve done them all. Where else can you rub elbows with royalty, photograph the president of the United States, shoot with Newsweek, meet various Olympians and single handedly get the entire media into the Rudolph Guiliani lecture by asking a simple question?

Not to mention all of the outlandish things we’ve done all while pulling our hair out because we’ll never make deadline. Do we even worry about that anymore? We truly are sleep-deprived souls.

Only at The Daily Campus can you have so many fond memories to look back upon and I have them all. With little pay and no sleep, this is not a job with thousands of people vying for it. There are a few people who, past, present and future, have made my life so memorable; I just had to thank them all, so please bear with me: Stephanie Allmon, Justin Keiter, Dana Blaugrund, Zhelia Bazleh, Nancy Black, Nicole Zangara, Feras Gadamsi, Jonathan Dewbre, Jake Lewis, Meredith Chapin, Brandon Hampton, Kris Norvet and, of course, I saved the best for last – the photographers: Scott Langley, Andrew Witaker, Tim Jaster, Serenity Pang, Moses Odria, Marina Juko, Winston Cutshall and Meredith McGrath.

Thanks to my third floor friends and constants in my life. Judy Babb: You are the glue to this organization; thanks for lending a shoulder when I’ve needed it. To Arlene, Carol, Dyann, Mamie, Dick and all the wonderful people I have photographed and interviewed throughout my tenure here at SMU – You’ve enriched my life more than words can express.

I came to SMU as the typical naive bright-eyed first-year not knowing a soul, being the only student from my state and the only girl from Nevada until my senior year. Who would have thought I’d survive! I even enjoy certain types of country music now. All my friends from back home think I’m nuts.

To Evan, Cassie, Alex, Heather and the new first-years from Vegas and Reno – I know you will forever keep the Vegas torch bright on this campus. I refused to be a dying breed and you make me proud everyday. You’ll always be my Vegas kids! I wish you well.

I’m most grateful for my friends. Adine “camel” Bagheri – you’re a pillar of strength and I look forward to saying, “I knew her when,” as you are sworn in as the first female president of the United States.

To Suzanne, Keri-Ann, Glo, Amanda, Sasha, Jamie and all of my sorority sisters – you’re an amazing group of women. I’d be lost without each and every one of you. To my creative dramatics class – you know who you are – thanks for the memories. To all my Rho Chi students from last year – you were the best! I had a blast; I hope you did too. Thanks Dr. Alvey, Sharon, Mr. Goodnight, Chuck and Bunny. I wouldn’t have made it to graduation without you.

And to my friends at Perkins Administration, I wouldn’t dare forget about you. Jennifer Russel, Jerrord, June, Chad Bridwell, “the almighty tall one,” Rod Jackson and the rest of the gang, you’ve enriched my life in more ways than I could possibly explain.

This organization might be overlooked at times, but provides unwavering support and leadership for all its student workers. I would be remiss if I didn’t single out the best English accent on campus, June Williams, who exemplifies what it means to be a true Mustang.

Thanks for putting up with my tardiness at work and always stressing upon me the need to get some rest. I’m sorry I never took your advice I just had too much to do for the past four years. I don’t know what Perkins would do without you. It wouldn’t exist.

The fact that I am graduating in a few days is exciting and frightening all in one. It’s so easy to get consumed by the bubble.

We all have our own qualms about SMU, but my triumphs and times of joy have far outweighed any of them. To the campus on the Hilltop, goodbye! I might not miss the late nights, but I will miss having the opportunity to work closely with great people. What a long, strange trip this has been.