Undercover brother

Former Montana Sigma Chi arrested for stealing from fraternity houses
 Undercover brother
Undercover brother

Undercover brother

Sigma Chis around the nation now think twice when letting someone into their home, whether they are an alumnus or not. Joseph Hamby, a former Sigma Chi from the University of Montana, was arrested Dec. 2 at the Sigma Chi house.

William Hunt, president of the SMU Sigma Chi chapter, called the SMU police department after realizing where he heard Hamby’s name before. Hunt had recently received an email from Sigma Chi headquarters, warning Sigma Chi chapters around the nation to be aware of Hamby and the trouble he had caused.

Police found Hamby on the third floor of the Sigma Chi house, where he was arrested for an outstanding DWI warrant out of the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Department. He was taken to the University Park Police Department. Since then he has been transferred to the Dallas County Police Department. He is now being held in Tarrant County on $5,000 bail.

“From what we know so far, Hamby has no violent offenses, but is alleged with some thefts and credit card fraud,” said Capt. Mike Snellgrove of the SMU Police Department.

Hamby is known for going to Sigma Chi chapters across the country and asking them for a place to stay. With the brotherly love that fraternities share, they trust him and let him in. He then steals what he can from the house and leaves with whatever he can carry. Although he was arrested before he had a chance to steal anything at SMU, college campuses across the United States are looking for him.

The college campuses where Hamby is wanted are: University of Kentucky, College of Charleston, University of South Carolina, and University of Wyoming. Hamby currently has admitted to stealing $12,000 from the University of South Carolina.

Private Investigator and Bail Bondsman Ron Wright of Forth Worth has been looking for Hamby ever since he jumped bond. Wright was stuck with having to pay $1,000 for Hamby’s bond because there was no one else to pay for it.

“If Hamby does not pay me back by Dec. 16, I will turn around and file against him for a felony offense for bond jump along with pushing for up to two years in jail,” Wright said.

Capt. Snellgrove wants to remind students to be cautious of people they allow into their homes because one never knows of their intentions.