Kennedy to perform at ‘Stampede’

First-years get chance to cheer at scrimmage

Comedian, actor and author Jamie Kennedy, star ofMalibu’s Most Wanted and the WB’s televisionseries The Jamie Kennedy Experiment, will headlineFriday’s comedy concert that will kick off Mustang Stampede,SMU’s traditional first weekend celebration that marks thebeginning of a new school year.

“We knew Jamie would be good for this year’s comedyconcert,” vice president of Program Council Alex Haayen said.”We’re certain he’ll be popular with the SMUcrowd.”

Kennedy joins a list of first weekend comics that include TraceyMorgan and Jim Brewer, both of Saturday Night Live.

The laughs begin at 6:30 p.m. Friday in McFarlin Auditorium.

After the show, students are invited to “TasteDallas”, a picnic and carnival new to this year’sfestivities. Local restaurants such as Texadelphia andPlucker’s will offer samplings of their finest cuisine tostudents on the main quad.

Saturday night, first-years will get their first chance to useall the cheers and chants they learned during Mustang Corral andAARO at the annual Red and Blue Scrimmage.

Traditionally marking the kick off to another Mustang Footballseason, the scrimmage is the first chance for the SMU community tosee the football team in action.

“We’re all excited to get the season started,”senior outside linebacker Don Ieremia-Stansbury said.

“This summer our focus was on getting better everyday, andI think we’ve really come together as a team, and we’remore of a family.”

The Mustang Women’s soccer team will also take on OklahomaState at Wescott Field at 7:00 p.m.

After the game, the festivities will continue while studentswill get to mingle with the football players as Program Councilwill show this summer’s blockbuster hit Troy on theJumbotron in Ford Stadium.

The evening will finish up from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. as studentsare invited to the Club Level of Ford Stadium for a dance partycalled “Stomp in the Stadium”.

Mustang Stampede will conclude on Sunday night with SundayCelebration, a barbeque in the South Quad where all the religiouslife organizations will gather for food, music and fellowship from5 p.m. to 7 p.m.