Women’s basketball hopes to bounce back against Tulane

Following their second loss in Conference USA play, the Lady Mustangs (20-6, 11-2 C-USA) will look to get back to their winning ways when they take on the Green Wave of Tulane (20-6, 9-4 C-USA) Thursday night in Moody Coliseum.

The Mustangs will take on a Tulane team that has the same overall record as they do, while also sporting a 8-1 road record, propelling them into a tie for second place in C-USA.

The Green Wave will also look to extend their winning streak to three games which would put them in sole possession of second place in C-USA.

Tulane is led by two scorers, Whitney Bibbins and Danielle Blagg, who are averaging 12.4 and 10.1 points per game, respectively.

The Mustangs come into Thursday night with a 2-2 record in their last four games after winning their first nine conference games.

SMU is led by a trio of players averaging over 10 points per game. Keena Mays, who has won multiple C-USA player of the week awards, leads the team with 19.8 points per game, while Alisha Filmore and Akil Simpson are averaging 12.3 and 10.4 points per game, respectively.

Filmore, who recently surpassesd 1,000 points in her SMU career, has been the senior leader of the team, providing guidance and stability to the younger players.

The most consistent player on the team, Simpson, has been a force on the boards (leads the team at 8.3 rebounds per game).

With the leadership of veteran players and coaching staff, the Mustangs should look to come out with high energy and aggressiveness to avoid losing a second straight game at 7 p.m. Thursday.