What’s wrong with Sing Song

Talent show designers make event more like Sing Wrong than Sing Song

In its purest form there is nothing wrong with Sing Song. It’s fun to watch fraternity guys and sorority girls, as well as other groups, get up on stage and sing and dance. But there is more to it than that.

For the most part, outside of the Greek community on campus and the other groups that participate, no one cares. For many non-Greek students it is just one more thing that happens in the other world that doesn’t make sense to them and that they are not and don’t want to be a part of.

There are even some fraternities and sororities that do not wish to be a part of it year after year for various reasons.

But along with non-Greek apathy, there is the issue of Program Council.

Program Council does a lot of great things for this campus. It sponsors free movie screenings in the Hughes-Trigg Theater, brings people like Attorney General John Ashcroft to campus and even Bone Thugs-N-Harmony to perform before the Red and Blue scrimmage.

But from what Ed Board has heard, Program Council takes it a little too far when it comes to its control of Sing Song.

Yes, there needs to be someone watching over the groups to ensure that the performances are appropriate. Yes, they need to be held responsible for making sure that each group is doing what they need to so they’ll be prepared when it’s showtime.

However, making the groups come in every Sunday for over a month to check up on each one crosses the line. There is only so much work that can be done between the mini-auditions each week. And if a group is expected to be there on time and ready to go at a certain time, then the people they are performing for should be ready and on time as well.

Apparently at almost every Sunday re-audition, Program Council would inevitably be behind.

Thank you, Program Council, for all that you do on campus. But when it comes to Sing Song, lighten up on the groups a little bit. If they didn’t want to be there, they wouldn’t be performing. Keep an eye out for any group that is completely unprepared before the show or inappropriate dialogue, dancing or any other actions. Other than that, let the groups do what they do.