The dos and don’ts of freshman year

A few friendly reminders to the class of 2012

Packing up the past 18 years of your life and trying to cram it all into what seems like a prison cell-sized dorm room is anything but a glamorous task. Now imagine hundreds of freshmen shoving their lives into elevators, pushing bookshelves up narrow stairwells and rolling desk chairs down chaotic hallways with dozens of students and parents trying to maneuver the same objects down the same overcrowded hallways. Welcome to move-in day!

Now to make this process, and your freshman year, a little less stressful, there are just a few things you need to keep in mind when trying to survive your first year in college. First, respect your roommate. Back in preschool you learned the Golden Rule: treat others how you want to be treated. This means if you don’t want your roommate eating your food, wearing your clothes, throwing dirty laundry across the room, or bringing a stranger home at 4 a.m., then you probably shouldn’t do those things either. An easy way to avoid any problems is to establish some ground rules on day one. If you find it acceptable to share food with your roommate, then go for it. Just remember, you’re living with this person for a year. Respect your side of the room, and it’s assumed your roommate will follow suit.

Second, support your school. When you graduate, while that SMU diploma will certainly look pretty mounted on your wall, it’s only going to keep that respected reputation if you uphold the proud image of SMU and what our school stands for. Go to football games, participate in campus activities, go greek or get involved in some clubs. The more involved you become, the more your education and overall experience at SMU is going to mean to you. It’s probably not the brightest idea to run out to every bar on a Friday night, proceed to drink one too many beers, dance with a total stranger and then drop the SMU name. You never know when your future boss, or even a family friend, is lurking in the corner. Be proud to be a Mustang. Don’t make others embarrassed to associate with you and our university.

Third, go to class! In high school your parents were notified when you decided an extended lunch was more important than calculus. In college, your professors couldn’t really care less if you show up to their class. You’re paying a pretty decent amount of money to get this education; you might as well take advantage of it. Also, when in class, while it’s encouraged that you participate, don’t become the student who raises his hand five times during class to ask a question or jump out of your seat every time you know the answer. You will quickly become that annoying student who everyone dreads. Remember, you’re in a class with other students. Let them speak up. You may even learn something new from one of them.

As for a few last minute reminders, pay attention to parking signs. Park ‘N Pony takes great pride in seeing how many tickets can be distributed on a daily basis. Don’t come back to your dorms so intoxicated you can’t walk without your shoes and the support of three other people. Lastly, college is what you make it. Have fun, work hard in class, meet new friends and get involved so you can graduate knowing you just completed what may be the best four years of your life.