SMU Mustangs slay UCF Knights

Down 2-1, the SMU volleyball team stormed back to win two straight sets and defeat the UCF Knights on Friday night at Moody Colesium.

With the win, the Mustangs preserved the second place standing in Conference USA and moved to 18-5 overall and 10-2 in conference play.

SMU took the first set 25-21, but then dropped the next two sets to the Knights 19-25 and 20-25.

The Ponies regained their confidence by taking the fourth set 25-21, which set up a pivotal fifth set.

The Mustangs were cool under pressure and won the final set 15-10 by converting on 80 percent of their sideouts. SMU also finished with an overall attacking clip of .149.

SMU junior right side hitter Jessica Oliver finished with a season high 24 kills and .488 attack percentage. The junior’s performance marks the highest hitting clip this season with over 25 swings for the Mustangs.

Outside hitter Dana Powell recorded her 16th double-double of the season with 12 kills and 15 digs. Fellow outside hitter Kathryn Wilkerson also posted double digit kills with 10 and added 15 digs. Wilkerson is SMU’s all-time digs leader.

Junior setter Kelli Becerra registered a match high of 51 assists, and junior libero Sidney Stewart had a game high of 25 digs. Stewart was impressive yet again after garnering Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week honors last week.

Sophomore middle blocker Courtney Manning was also a key factor in the Mustangs’ victory. Manning posted solid numbers with 10 kills and five blocks.

The Mustangs played great defense in the final set and finished the night with 15 blocks.

SMU will continue their four-game home stretch through Sunday.