Another Year at the Fabulous Fair

The State Fair of Texas
 Another Year at the Fabulous Fair
Another Year at the Fabulous Fair

Another Year at the Fabulous Fair

The State Fair of Texas is a tradition for many families andthose who have been before know what to expect.

“Big Tex” towers above the crowds in his patrioticattire and shouts out an occasional “Howdy Folks” tohis fans.

A Fletcher’s Corny Dog is one of the many staple foods onemust consume while at the fair. For the kids, the rides and showsare a highlight and the petting zoo is definitely anexperience.

For so many people, the fair is not just a day of fun and gamesbut also a day of work and preparation.

The south-eastern side of the fairgrounds is where the real fairlife takes place. Hundreds of livestock, along with their owners,make a new home for 24 days where they will live and work as ifthey were back on the farm. Ranchers stay in trailers and motorhomes on the fairgrounds and the livestock stay in the cattlebarns. Some owners even decide to sleep right next to theiranimals.

By 7:15 p.m., the night begins to wind down as the traditionalparade makes it’s way through the fairgrounds. This is thetime to take in a day of sights and attractions before it is timeto pack up and go home. But for others the night has justbegun.

The Midway stays open until 12 a.m., and beer sales don’tstop until 10 p.m. These are some of the last stops for most peopletrying to get rid of any left over tickets or win one of thecoveted gargantuan stuffed animals. Unfortunately those games costmoney and players don’t have outstanding odds.

This annual fun and feeding fest seems to pass by far tooquickly. After a day at the State Fair of Texas, it is hard forfair-goers to walk out of the gates knowing another year of thereal world stands between another day when they can live likechildren and break their diets.

The last day of the fair is Sunday, Oct. 17.