SMU men’s tennis loses to Tulsa by one, and clench doubles point

MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus
SMU senior Adham el-Effendi prepares to return a volley during doubles play Thursday afternoon against Tulsa at Turpin Tennis Stadium. SMU lost the match 4-3.

SMU senior Adham el-Effendi prepares to return a volley during doubles play Thursday afternoon against Tulsa at Turpin Tennis Stadium. SMU lost the match 4-3. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)

SMU took on the University of Tulsa’s Golden Hurricane Thursday afternoon at Turpin Tennis Center. It was a hard fought match, but the Mustangs fell 4-3.

The three points SMU earned came from the doubles point and seniors Adham el-Effendi and Artem Baradach long singles matches.

Baradach faced a tough match against Tulsa’s No. 1 player Cliff Marsland. He pulled it out but the score was close 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. This makes Baradach’s record 7-1 for the season.

El-Effendi clenched past Tulsa’s Alastair Barnes 7-6, 7-6 at line five singles.

For the doubles play, Baradach and Gaston Cuadranti lost a close match to Tulsa’s Ashley Watling and Marsland. It was a match of many breaks, until finally Tulsa held serve and then broke the Mustangs to take the win 8-6.

SMU also won at line three doubles with the duo of el-Effendi and Robert Sajovich downing Rusty Turpin and Japie De Klerk 8-5.

This was SMU’s second consecutive loss for the season, the last loss was against Texas.

The Mustangs next match up will be against University of Texas San Antonio. It will take place at Turpin Tennis Center on Saturday at 12 p.m.