SMU men’s swim coach named U.S. Olympic swim team manager

SMU assistant swim coach Andy Kershaw was recently selected as the Team Manager for the U.S. Olympic Swim Team that will compete at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Kershaw will join the University of California- Berkeley’s Teri McKeever and the University of Florida’s Greg Troy as the leaders of the American Olympic Team. McKeever will serve as the Head Women’s Coach and Troy as the Head Men’s Coach.

“I am very honored to share in the Olympic experience with our country’s best swimmers,” Kershaw said. “USA Swimming is a great organization and is comprised of great people, and I am very excited to work with them on the grandest stage in our sport.”

The 2012 Olympics will not be Kershaw’s first time in the national arena. He has worked as one of the team managers for USA Swimming in both the 2009 Duel in the Pool and the 2010 Pan Pacific Games. He has also helped train six U.S. Olympic Trial qualifiers and 39 NCAA qualifiers in 81 events.

Kershaw will also serve as the USA team manager at the 2011 World Championships in Shanghai, China.

Beyond his performance nationally, Kershaw has also helped lead the Mustangs to victory. He has been a part of the SMU coaching staff for the past eight years and in that time he has helped 36 university swimmers reach All-American status and led the team to seven conference championships. He also currently serves as the recruiting coordinator for the SMU Mustangs swimming program and is the co-director of the Mustang Swim Camp.

Kershaw is not SMU’s only connection to the Olympic games. Eddie Sinnott, the head men’s swimming coach, served as one of the team managers at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

“Eddie and Greg shared their experiences with me which motivated and prepared me for the job,” Kershaw said. “In December I was asked by USA Swimming if I would manage the Olympic Team and obviously I jumped at the opportunity.”