East meets west

Mustangs play in first conference championship game since 1984.
AP Photo
Former Central Florida quarterback Michael Greco runs on a fourth and one yard for a first down past SMU line backer Pete Fleps during play in Orlando, Fla., Saturday, Oct. 4, 2008. SMU faces UCF in the C-USA Championship Game Saturday in Orlando.

Former Central Florida quarterback Michael Greco runs on a fourth and one yard for a first down past SMU line backer Pete Fleps during play in Orlando, Fla., Saturday, Oct. 4, 2008. SMU faces UCF in the C-USA Championship Game Saturday in Orlando. (AP Photo )

After a dramatic 45-38 overtime victory over East Carolina last Friday, SMU claimed the Conference USA West title with a 6-2 league record, allowing the Mustangs to compete for their first league title since 1984, when SMU earned a co-championship in the Southwest Conference.

SMU (7-5, 6-2) will take on Conference USA East champion Central Florida (9-3, 7-1) in the Conference USA Championship game on Saturday at 11 a.m. in Orlando, FL.

The Knights are currently ranked 25th in coaches pool and have won seven out of their last eight games after starting the season 2-2. UCF’s only conference loss came at the hands of Southern Mississippi, 31-21 on Nov. 13.

However the Knights won their last two games of the season against C-USA bottom feeders Tulane and Memphis by an average of 34 points.

The Mustangs and Knights last squared off in 2008 when UCF earned a 31-17 victory over SMU. The Mustangs outgained the Knights by nearly 100 yards but turned the ball over four times.

SMU wide receiver Aldrick Robinson racked up 210 receiving yards and one touchdown. UCF running back Ronnie Weaver carried the ball 25 times for 123 yards and one touchdown.

Robinson and Weaver will once again both be a vital part of their team’s offense this Saturday.

Offensively, SMU likes to air the ball out and is nationally ranked 20th passing yards and 74th in rushing yards. UCF likes to pound the ball on the ground and is ranked 80th in passing yards and 25th in rushing yards.

Padron has been solid this year, passing for 3,306 yards, a new SMU record, and 28 touchdowns which rank 10th nationally. Padron is also the team’s second leading rusher this year with 251 yards and four touchdowns.

Padron threw for 331 yards and three touchdowns against East Carolina last week and earned C-USA Player of the Week and Manning Award Star of the Week.

Padron has three solid wide receivers to throw the ball to. Robinson leads the receiving corps with 57 receptions for 1,182 yards and 12 touchdowns. The senior is averaging 20.7 yards per reception and is ranked seventh nationally in receiving yards.

Junior Cole Beasley has not been too bad himself. He has caught 79 passes for 976 yards and six touchdowns on the season.

Finally, Darius Johnson has been yet another explosive offensive weapon for the Mustangs. Johnson has 60 receptions for 588 yards and five touchdowns.

For UCF, freshman Jeffrey Godfrey has done a good job in his first year under the helm. Godfrey has thrown for 1,875 yards and 12 touchdowns and rushed for 529 yards and nine touchdowns.

Against Memphis last week, the freshman passed for 252 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 34 yards and one touchdown.

On the ground, the Knights are led by Weaver who has rushed for 855 yards and 11 touchdowns.

The Mustangs have also established a ground game this year behind running back Zach Line, who has rushed for 1,297 yards and 10 touchdowns. The sophomore rushed for 123 yards and two touchdowns against East Carolina.

Defensively UCF is ranked 18th in the nation, allowing only 18.9 points per game. SMU is surrendering over 27 points per contest and is ranked 64th.

The Knights are led by senior linebacker Derrick Hallman. This season, Hallman currently leads the team in tackles with 75 tackles including 53 solos, one sack, one interception and four forced fumbles.

The Mustangs are led by sophomore linebacker Taylor Reed, who currently leads the team with 122 tackles including 82 solos and one fumble recovery.

The game will be televised nationally on ESPN 2.