Mustangs get sunk by Navy 24-17

Michael Danser/The Daily Campus
Navy linebacker Brye French tackles SMU quarterback JJ McDermott during play Saturday afternoon at Ford Stadium.

Navy linebacker Brye French tackles SMU quarterback JJ McDermott during play Saturday afternoon at Ford Stadium. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

The SMU Mustangs fell 24-17 to the Navy Midshipmen on Saturday at Ford Stadium.

With the win Navy improved their record to 4-6 and SMU has now fallen to 6-4 overall and 4-2 in C-USA.

President George W. Bush helped start the game with a coin toss.

Navy won the toss and elected to receive.

Reminiscent of past losses to Southern Miss and Tulsa, the Mustangs got off to a slow start in the first quarter.

On Navy’s first drive, the Midshipmen marched down the field only running the ball and got on the board first with a 39-yard field goal that barely squeezed through the uprights.

The next two Mustang offensive drives resulted in three-and-outs.

The SMU defense tried to turn the momentum of the game with the offense struggling, on Kriss Proctor’s first pass attempt of the game and Kenneth Acker interception.

On SMU’s following play, J.J. McDermott, who completed 26 of 36 passes for 249 yards a touchdown and two interceptions, threw his first pick of the game.

Following the interception, the Midshipmen was able to move the ball down to the 1-yard-line, Navy’s Gee Gee Greene scored a touchdown.

SMU finally got a score on the board at the end of the second quarter when Chase Hover kicked a 28-yard field goal to make the score 10-3 at half time.

To start the second half, Zach Line had a couple of big first down runs that got the Mustangs energized and ready to play.

J.J. McDermott capped off a nine play 80-yard drive when he completed a seven yard touchdown pass to Cole Beasley, who had eight catches for 65 yards and a touchdown.

The Midshipmen would go on another long and time consuming drive to answer with a score of their own, this time it was John Howell punching it in from one yard out for Navy.

Once in the fourth quarter Navy created separation from SMU on the scoreboard with another rushing touchdown, this time from Mike Stukel.

SMU tried to make a comeback, and made the game 24-17 when Cole Beasley scored on the Midshipmen for his first career rushing touchdown.

But Navy was too much, the Midshipmen sealed the victory by running out the clock when they ran the ball for a first down, reminiscent of the entire game.

Navy’s quarterback Kriss Proctor rushed for 107 yards on the day, completing no passes.

The Mustangs will look to bounce back from the loss next Saturday when they travel to Robertson Stadium to take on undefeated and 11th ranked Houston.