Rice upsets SMU at C-USA tourney

The SMU Women’s Soccer team lost 2-1 to Rice in the Conference USA Quarterfinals on Wednesday afternoon at Mike Rose Stadium in Memphis, Tenn.

The Owls picked up a 1-0 victory in the last meeting between the two schools a month ago at Westcott Field.

The third-seed Mustangs struck first in the 31st-minute when Courtney Smith picked up her third goal of the season with a free kick from the right side of the box.

Hayley Williams, a sophomore defender/midfielder from Dallas, responded for the sixth-seed Rice in the 69th minute with a header off a corner from senior forward, Hope Ward. The Mustangs would not answer for the rest of the second half.

The game went to overtime and eleven minutes in. Freshman forward/midfielder Ashton Geisendorff picked up a first goal as an Owl. The game-winning goal was assisted by sophomore midfielders Rachel Petmecky and Jessica Howard.

SMU finishes their season with an 11-8-1 record with a 7-4-1 record in Conference USA. The Owls record now improves to 10-7-3 with a conference record of 5-5-2.

The Mustangs are eliminated from the tournament and the Owls move on to the semifinals and will face the winner of second-seed Colorado College and seventh-seed UTEP