The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

Athlete of the week: Darius Johnson

This week’s player of the week features Darius Johnson, a junior wide receiver for the SMU Mustangs.

In the last two games against Northwestern State and Memphis, Johnson went over the 100-yard receiving mark and was an instrumental part in both of the victories.

Johnson had a productive year in 2010, finishing with 78 receptions for 845 yards and six touchdowns.

Johnson said his season is going a lot smoother this year compared to last year.

“I got out to a quicker start this year, and I already have more 100-yard games than last year.

The offense is clicking more this season, and we are putting up more points,” Johnson said.

Johnson has played a big role in the offense this season. He ranks first in receiving touchdowns and yards for SMU. The Mustang offense has out-scored opposing teams 82-7 in the past two games, and it seems as if they are starting to fire on all cylinders.

After the Texas A&M loss, the Mustangs have responded with three straight wins.

“The team is getting our confidence up, and Coach Jones always talks to us about putting the past behind us and trying to focus on the next game while getting better each week,” Johnson said.

The Mustangs showed a lot of poise and heart with a conference win against UTEP after suffering a loss to Texas A&M in the opener.

It is even more impressive that the team has not become complacent with past wins.

The Mustangs have continued to increased their margin of victory in every single game, and it shows that the team is staying focused on the challenges ahead.

With TCU on the schedule next week, it is key that the team focuses on how they can improve and come out with another victory.

Johnson is not approaching the TCU game any differently.

“No it’s just any other game,” he said. “It isn’t a conference game, but it is also a game we would like to win to put us higher in the rankings, and it’s also a rivalry game so it’s always nice to beat TCU.”

TCU comes into this Saturday’s game ranked 20th in the nation. If SMU comes out with a victory, it will certainly get people talking across the country about the team and SMU’s relevance in college football today.

College football is all about the regional rivalries and with bragging rights and history on the line, you can bet both teams will be coming into the game with a little extra something in the tank.

Johnson is a big game player.

In the Armed Forces Bowl last season, he had nine receptions for 152 yards and a touchdown.

Even though the TCU game isn’t a bowl game, it is a big time rivalry. You can expect Johnson to bring it all on the field for SMU.