Men finish third in first meet; host rival TCU Frogs tonight

+SMU+mens+scoccer+ranked+eighth+in+preseason+poll
SMU men’s scoccer ranked eighth in preseason poll

Junior Matthew Napier-Jameson got a third place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke at the Southwest Collegiate Plunge. (Courtesy of Men’s Swimming and Diving Team)

The SMU men’s swim team started off its season with a third place finish in the Southwest Collegiate Plunge Saturday.

“We had a much better showing than we have had at the meet in the past so it was a great start to the season,”coach Eddie Sinnott said.

“We had a lot of successful races and it serves as a baseline for the rest of the season. We hope to improve on this meet for the rest of the year and just to continue to improve as the season goes along.”

The team was led by senior Mindaugas Sadauskas who raced in a total of six events.

He won the 50-yard freestyle, had four second place finishes and one third place finish.

Sadauskas raced in all four of the Mustangs’ relay teams with second place finishes in the 400-yard medley relay, 200-yard medley relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Sadauskas also had a third place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay and a victory in the 50-yard freestyle.

The Mustangs took third place overall in the meet losing to the University of Texas and Texas A&M.

Despite the No.3 finish, the meet was still a very impressive start for a young team.

The Mustangs also got a strong performance from senior David Larsson, who won the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 49.24.

The Mustangs had third place finishes from juniors Matthew Napier- Jameson, Matt Roney and sophomore Matas Andriekus.

The Mustangs now turn its attention to its crosstown rivals the TCU Horned Frogs who the team will face Wednesday night in Perkins Natatorium.

“It’s really early in the season for us; we are normally not good in November,” Sinnott said.

The Mustangs will have its hands full as TCU is off to a strong start to the year.

“TCU will pose a challenge for us because they are a good team,” Sinnott said. “It will be a big test for us because we have to get our team up and ready to race which they are usually not used to in November.”

The Wednesday night race is an unusual event in the season schedule.

“We also don’t usually race during the week-TCU doesn’t either so it will be an adjustment for us and them.”

Despite the upcoming challenge, Sinnott is looking forward to taking on TCU.

“But this will be a good test for us and a good opportunity because the meet is at home and a good opportunity for our team to practice racing.”

One big matchup that will be a good race will be Sadauskas against TCU’s Corey Nix, who posted a victory in TCU’s duel meet against North Dakota.

It is only the second meet of the season but a strong showing in the home opener for the Mustangs could be a springboard for the rest of the year.