Spring 2013 trends: What to look forward to this season

School is back in action, so it’s time for your ensembles to be too! No more lounging around the house in T-shirts and sweats.

As students at one of the most fashion-forward schools, let’s show off just how trendy we are this season.

Below is a breakdown of spring’s trends so you will be prepared to flaunt your style around campus or wherever else your college life takes you.

Frills and ruffles

Wanting a more feminine look? Frills and ruffles are perfect.
Pair a shirt (or blouse) that has subtle ruffles with jeans and flats for daytime- whether you’re headed to class, or just walking around Dallas.

More exaggerated ruffles or frills are better fitting for a formal event. In this case, the accents look best on dresses. Also, frills on booties make for a fun addition to any outfit. Look for a pair where the ruffle starts at the ankle and proceeds down to the toe.

Bold prints

Bold prints and patterns add excitement to any outfit. This style is great for adding your personal touch. Just about any pattern that catches your eye will appeal to this trend- whether they’re stripes, checkers, chevron or florals.

Geometric prints also appeal to the “architecture-inspired” look of spring. Look for shapes like triangles and trapezoids (hopefully you were paying attention in geometry classes!)

Believe it or not, mixing patterns is certainly “in” this season.

Whether a single piece contains a mixture of patterns, or you’re pairing separate pieces with different patterns, go all out if you’re comfortable with a “crazier” feel to your outfit.

Floral

As spring approaches, flowers will be blooming all over campus.

This season, you can use them as inspiration for your new look.

If you’re in search of a pattern to incorporate into your outfit, this will add a feminine touch.

Botanical-inspired pieces work in any of this season’s most popular shades, such as blues, reds and pastels.

Black and white

Yes, black and white are still in style. You’ve seen them become increasingly popular since the fall season, and it has been hanging in there ever since.

So why is it still so loved? Well, because it’s easy. You can mix and match it with just about anything.

But, designers’ pieces typically incorporate both colors in a single piece.

Another reason why this trend is so popular is because anyone can wear black and white. Not every color works for all skin complexions and hair colors, and some of you might not feel comfortable in certain shades.

Black and white is a safe choice, but luckily for you, being safe can still be stylish.

To enhance this trend, sport a checkered black and white piece. So many designers included this pattern in their spring lines.
But, also note that white by itself is in style too.

White is a go-to color for warm-weather, so you should definitely own a few pieces that are solid white.

Wearing white head-to-toe is appropriate this season, so don’t feel like you’re “boring.”

But if you do, throw in a colorful pair of shoes or a patterned bag.

Beiges

Beiges alone will be seen all over this season, but they also look great with black and white. It’s such an easy way to enhance your look by combining these two trends.

This shade is one of the most popular colors for accessories, whether they’re all beige or mixed with white.

Anything from bags to bangles, you name it.

Reds

Reds were in style this past season, but they’re here to stay, just like the combination of black and white.

This shade adds so much more to a patterned piece, so pair a red blazer with patterned pants for example.

Reds mixed with coral and pink make for a trendier look. This combination works best for dresses, blazers, bags and shoes.

Blue

Azure, to be more specific, is the best shade of blue for this season.

As the weather prepares to warm up, this bright and fun color is very complimentary to the season and the blue skies to come.

These trends will help you get excited for the upcoming season. All are fun and bright (with the exception of a few) and will certainly help to boost your mood this spring.