Mustangs fall to Miners; 3-4 on the road

Despite a strong second half by the Mustangs (11-9 overall, 1-4 in C-USA), the SMU men’s basketball team fell to the UTEP Miners 63-54, Saturday afternoon in El Paso.

After falling behind by as many as 17 points, SMU fought back to within 55-46, using a 7-0 run with 3:57 remaining in the game. After the Mustangs’ rally, the Miners matched SMU point for point. The Mustangs were forced to send UTEP to the free throw line where the Miners closed the game.

The Mustangs proved to be their own worst enemy early on, turning the ball over 11 times and shooting only 36 percent in the first half. However, UTEP’s offense proved much more efficient with a 55 percent shooting mark.

UTEP’s Jacques Streeter torched the Mustang defense in the first half for 17 of his 18 total points.

However, trailing 35-21 in the second half, head coach Larry Brown focused his team’s defensive efforts on Streeter, holding him to just two free-throw attempts in the final 20 minutes. 

Streeter was nearly perfect from the court, netting all five of his made baskets from beyond the three-point line. The Miners distanced themselves with a total of eight 3’s on the team’s way to the big lead in the second half.

SMU tried to counter UTEP’s offense with junior forward Shawn Williams, who had 16 points, 7 rebounds and 2 assists. Despite the forwards 10 second half points, SMU could not dig itself out of the early hole.

The dynamic duo of guards Jalen Jones and Nick Russell were the only other Mustangs in double-figures, scoring 15 and 12 respectively.

The Mustangs drop to 3-4 on the road and have now lost five of their last six games after opening the season 8-1. SMU will have a chance to get back on track this Saturday, on the road against Central Florida at 3 p.m.