SMU women’s swimming falls to No. 6 Longhorns, prepared for C-USA tournament

The SMU women’s swimming team traveled to Austin on Saturday to take on a challenge. They competed against the Longhorns who are currently ranked No. 6 in the nation. The score was 137-89.

It was a young talent that stole the show on Saturday afternoon, freshman Nina Rangelova really made a statement.

She won two events for the Mustangs, the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:47.59 and the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:49.82.

Both of these times give Rangelova consideration for the NCAA Championships.

Therese Svendsen also contributed to the Mustang’s efforts. She won the 200-yard backstroke in 1:57.62.

Ramita Dvariskyte prevailed in her event as well, she brought in a victory in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Two important team members came in second for the afternoon, Denisa Smolenova and Audra Egenolf.

Egenolf came in with a score of 300.05 in the three-meter dive and then came in third in the one-meter dive with 264.85 points.

Smolenova placed second in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:04.35, and also help to contribute to the victorious 200-yard freestyle relay team.

Also on the relay team were Emily Vavourakis, Monika Babok, and Genevieve Konicke. The team came through with a time of 1:36.02, several seconds in front of the opposing team who touched with wall with 1:43.54 on the clock.

This was the Mustang’s first event since they last competed in Austin at the Austin Grand Prix on Jan. 16.

SMU’s next meet will be the C-USA championships which will take place in Houston on Feb. 23-26.