No. 59 SMU men’s tennis falls to No. 66 TCU

SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus
SMU sophomore Gaston Cuadranti serves the ball during doubles play against UC Santa Barbara at Turpin Tennis Stadium.

SMU sophomore Gaston Cuadranti serves the ball during doubles play against UC Santa Barbara at Turpin Tennis Stadium. (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

The SMU men’s tennis team traveled across town to take on the TCU Horned Frogs Wednesday evening. The Horned Frogs were ranked No. 66 going into the match and SMU was ranked No. 59.

First up for the evening was doubles play. No. 88 Gaston Cuadranti and Arteem Baradach were first off the court at line three doubles after being defeated by Zach Nichols and David Sanchez 8-5.

Next finished was Tobias Flood and Joseph Hattrup at line one, they lost to the duo of Paul Chappell and Cameron Nash 8-5. At this point having one two out of the three matches, TCU had secured the doubles point. Still left to finish was the line two tandem of Adham el-Effendi and recently recovered Daron Walsh. The Mustangs just couldn’t quite seal the deal, and lost 8-5 to Emanuel Brighiu and Christopher Price.

After a short break, the singles play was underway. SMU knew since it lost the doubles point their players must win at least four of the matches to take home a win.

At line one singles, No. 79 Brighiu defeated Baradach in a long three setter 7-6 (8), 5-7, 6-4. Baradach had to sit out the last few matches due to an injury, but fought to participate in the rivalry. The match was the last to finish.

Mischa Nowicki, who was fourth to finish, defeated his opponent Slah Mbarek in straight sets 6-3, 6-2. Cuadranti also took home a win against Price 6-4, 6-3.

Line two singles player David Costa suffered a loss to Nichols 6-3, 6-1, along with Adham el-Effendi who battled in the first set but lost 7-5, 6-3. Senior Walsh who was just released to play doubles from an injury made his singles debut back in TCU territory. He battled a long double tie-breaker match against Sanchez, but came up short in a second set breaker 16-18.