SMU to take on Navy

Michael Danser/The Daily Campus
Junior runningback Zach Line carries the ball for a touchdown against Tulane Oct. 5 at Ford Stadium.

Junior runningback Zach Line carries the ball for a touchdown against Tulane Oct. 5 at Ford Stadium. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

This past weekend SMU worked for something they gravely needed.

In their 45-24 win against Tulane, the offense, who had produced only 10 points in the previous two games against Tulsa and Southern Miss, managed season-high points against Tulane and also finished eight of 13 third downs.

SMU also finished off the win securing their spot at a bowl game this season.

Zach Line became the fifth SMU player to have multiple seasons with over 1,000 rushing yards.

Going into halftime Line had already rushed for over 100 yards aiding the Mustangs in the 31-0 lead at the half.

Quarterback J.J. McDermott had a stand-alone game as he passed for 29 of 40 with three touchdowns and no interceptions.

This performance comes after a two-week lull when McDermott had no touchdown passes, piggybacking on six interceptions.

However, both sides of the ball played up to their early season performances.

The defense, going into halftime, held Tulane to only 60 total yards.

But they gave up 24 points in the third quarter.

As the fourth quarter rolled around, the defense rallied to keep Tulane scoreless in the fourth quarter helping SMU to a 45-24 win at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

It is important to take note that SMU is bowl eligible for the third straight year.

In a press conference after last week’s game Head Coach June Jones eluded to liking the idea of playing Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl saying, “It is an automatic sellout.”

Navy broke a six-game losing streak last weekend.

Nevertheless Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo is definitely thinking about another win.

“As good as it feels to win after losing all those games, we have to get ready for SMU,” Niumataolo said after his team beat Troy 42-14.

Last week two players made their return to the field, including quarterback Kriss Proctor, making a big impact on their 42-14 win.

Last weeks game keeps their faint hopes for a ninth straight bowl game alive.

Navy still has a chance to appear in the Military Bowl in Washington, D.C.

In order to do so they have to beat SMU this coming weekend, San Jose State beat Army.

Navy leads the series with SMU 8-7, their last meeting was last year at Navy resulting in a Navy victory 28-21.

Navy ranks third in the nation in rushing yards, but that will be challenged this weekend as SMU’s defense is currently tied for 18th in the nation.