Men’s basketball tips off against McMurry Friday

Men%E2%80%99s+Basketball+played++University+of+Southern+Mississippi+last+season+in+Moody+Coliseum.+
Michael Danser/ The Daily Campus
Men’s Basketball played University of Southern Mississippi last season in Moody Coliseum.

Men’s Basketball played University of Southern Mississippi last season in Moody Coliseum. (Michael Danser/ The Daily Campus)

The SMU men’s basketball team begins their season against McMurry University Friday night at 7 p.m. in Moody Coliseum.

SMU has won all four of the meetings between the two schools.

This is SMU’s 95th season of basketball.

SMU is 55-40 in season openers and 38-16 in season openers at home.

In all home openers, the Mustangs are 60-35 and 39-16 in openers at Moody Coliseum.

SMU has won 12 of their last 15 openers at home.

The Mustangs will be led by captains Robert Nyakundi, Jeremiah Samarippas and Shawn Williams.

Nyakundi is tabbed as the best shooter in Conference USA and one of the top three-point shooters in the nation.

He averaged 14.3 points per game in 2010 to 2011 and will be a crucial part of the SMU offense.

Samarippas, who played in all 35 games and started in 30 as a freshman, lead the team last season in assists and steals and will be the support that Nyakundi needs for SMU to score big.

Williams is a new member of the team and sat out all of last season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Williams transferred from the University of Texas at Austin, appearing in seven of their first eight games in 2009 to 2010.

The War Hawks biggest move over the offseason was the addition of Head Coach J.D. Isler who has been a successful high school coach in New Mexico for 10 years. Isler is the father of junior guard, Jaden, who led the team in assists last season.

Isler’s biggest returning player is St seven Jones, a 270 pounds senior forward who led the team in field goals made, free throws made and steals and was second in rebounding and blocks.

The Mustangs barely pulled off a 70-67 win over the War Hawks in last year’s season opener.

They’re hoping to prove that they are better than that Friday.

Next week the Mustangs will travel to Stanford, Calif. for the Dicks Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off Regional tournament. The game will be broadcasted on ESPNU.