Victory against UCF proves offensive ability

The SMU Mustangs defeated UCF 38-17 Saturday at Gerald Ford Stadium. The UCF Knights were the defending conference champions after winning the 2010 Conference USA championship.

J.J. McDermott led the offensive attack completing 20 of 31 passes for 358 yards and two touchdowns.

The Mustangs improve their overall record to 5-1 and the 3-0 in Conference USA play.

As the game got underway, UCF won the coin toss and chose to defend.

It didn’t take long for the Mustangs to punch it in the end zone scoring on their first possession of the game.

It was a clean and fast paced first quarter as both teams kept control of the ball.

However, once SMU took control again with about five minutes left in the quarter they managed to get back into UCF territory to set up for a field goal—ending the first quarter with a score of 10-0, SMU.

SMU cornerback No. 92 Richard Crawford returned a 92-yard punt return for a touchdown four minutes into the second quarter.

His second punt return for over 40 yards in the first half. UCF answered with a field goal to find their way onto the score board—leaving the score 3-17 going into halftime.

Halftime gave way and it was back to the action.

SMU had a missed field goal attempt to start off the third quarter but then quickly came back on their next possession with a touchdown, finishing out the third quarter leaving UCF scoreless.

As the fourth quarter rolled around the UCF offense started to make some plays scoring 14 points in the fourth quarter alone.

SMU wasn’t going to have that, they responded with 14 points themselves hanging a final score of 38-17.

SMU had 358 passing yards with a total of 440 total yards.

The 72-yard touchdown pass from J.J. McDermott to Der’rikk Thompson was the longest for SMU since an 82-yard touchdown pass from Kyle Padron to Aldrick Robinson at Tulane Oct. 30, 2010.

Richard Crawford’s 92-yard punt touchdown run return tied the SMU record for longest punt return; it also ties for second in C-USA history.

The most memorable moments of the game came from 11-year-old Kelan Lawson. Diagnosed with cerebral palsy he has dreams of being a football coach.

SMU head coach June Jones learned of Lawson’s wish and designated him an honorary coach for the game. Lawson spent the last two days with the team doing everything they do and even had the opportunity to speak to the team. After the game, Coach Jones said years from now he probably won’t remember exactly what happened in this game but he would remember that.

As the game came to an end, Lawson was beside himself in tears. His mother summed up the experience as “incredible.”

This game makes five straight games in which SMU has scored at least 28 points as well as the first time SMU has had a 5-1 start since the 1986 season.

The Mustangs travel to Southern Miss for their next game on Saturday, Oct. 22.