June cometh, June stayeth

Athletic Director Steve Orsini, Head Coach June Jones and President R. Gerald Turner sign two-year contract extension.
Photo courtesy of SMU News

Athletic Director Steve Orsini, Head Coach June Jones and President R. Gerald Turner sign two-year contract extension. (Photo courtesy of SMU News)

Coming off an 8-5 season and SMU’s first bowl appearance in 25 years, Head Coach June Jones signed a two-year contract extension Friday that will keep him on the Hilltop through the 2014 season.

In 2009, The Sporting News named Jones Conference USA Coach of the Year.

Jones committed to an additional two years after successfully completing only two years of the five-year, $2 million-a-year contract he signed in 2008.

“Coach Jones has brought a winning culture to our football program, and under his leadership, I know he will soon exceed my goal for the football program here at SMU – and that is to be a perennial Top-25 team,” SMU athletic director Steve Orsini said in a press release.

Jones took over SMU’s football program in 2008 after nine years as head coach for the University of Hawaii. He was 1-11 in his first season at SMU, but rebounded with an NCAA best turnaround last season (plus seven wins).

“I am very excited about the direction of the program and the University, and I’m happy to sign this extension,” Jones said.

Jones is known in the football world as an offensive genius. Prior to coming to SMU, Jones received three National Coach of the Year awards.

Within two seasons, the Mustangs, led by famed Jones, did the unthinkable —they became champions again. SMU reigned over Nevada 45-10, ending a 25-year bowl drought.

The Mustangs returned to the Hilltop with a Sheraton Hawaii Bowl Championship and a share of the Conference USA Western Division Championship under their belts.

In the wake of the 2010 season, there is pressure on the Ponies. The Mustangs have been in the spotlight for much of the summer, gaining attention from multiple media outlets.

USA Today and The Associated Press had votes cast for SMU in their preseason college football polls.

The Mustangs will open the season Sunday, Sept. 5 in Lubbock, TX in an ESPN-televised game versus Texas Tech.