Dallas kicks off season vs. Giants

Cowboys Tony Romo (9) , Nate Livings (71) and David Arkin (62) take position against the Rams Aug. 25.
AP

Cowboys Tony Romo (9) , Nate Livings (71) and David Arkin (62) take position against the Rams Aug. 25. (AP)

The NFL regular season begins with a classic NFC East rivalry ­- the Dallas Cowboys will face the New York Giants at 7:30 CDT Wednesday in MetLife Stadium.

The reigning Super Bowl champs host Tony Romo and the Cowboys in a game that could determine who will lead one of the leagues’ most competitive divisions.

The Giants beat the Cowboys in both of their match ups last year, eventually ending Dallas’ run at the playoffs in the last game of the regular season with a 31-14 victory on its home field.

Jason Pierre-Paul and the rest of the Giant’s defensive line that won a Super Bowl last year will be a huge test for an offensive line in Dallas that is full of question marks.

Starting wide receivers Dez Bryant and Miles Austin will be on the field. After experiencing injuries in the off season, Romo’s top weapons will look to put up big numbers against a beat up Giants secondary.

Defensive backs Terrell Thomas and Prince Amukamara will not play in their team’s home opener against Dallas.

Jason Witten’s spleen injury will not require surgery, which would have likely ended the seven-time pro bowler’s season. Witten is questionable to play in the opener, but his season is not threatened.

The Cowboys may favor playing the Giants away from home. The Giants beat the Cowboys in Jerry Jones’ stadium the last three years, including the first-ever game played in Cowboys Stadium.

This year, the team that best protects its quarterback will likely win. Two of the leagues’ premier pass rushers will be on display. DeMarcus Ware and Jason Pierre-Paul were ranked second and fourth respectively in sacks last year.

Second-year player Tyron Smith will make his regular season debut at left tackle during the game. Smith was the Cowboy’s most consistent player on the offensive line in his rookie year at right tackle.

He will have the added responsibility of protecting Tony Romo’s blind side against one the league’s best pass rushes.

Morris Claiborne, this year’s sixth overall pick, will start in his first ever NFL game for the Cowboys. The former LSU cornerback will be in tandem with free agent acquisition Brandon Carr in stopping Eli Manning.

While Manning deserves respect for his two Superbowl rings, Romo will look to remind fans that his career stats prove he is also an elite quarterback.

Still, it will take more than good quarterback plays for the Cowboys to end its string of losses against the Giants.