The truth about leggings

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

After the skinny jean craze that began a couple of years ago, it seems hard to imagine that it is now their figure-hugging cousin, the legging, that is taking the fashionable coeds of SMUby storm.

But with leggings being spotted all over campus, the real question is are they pants or not?

“Leggings are very versatile in style and are worn by nearly every type of girl,” SMU Retail Club President Rebecca Marin said.

“I personally wear them all the time…because I’m always on-the-go or going somewhere very casual,” Marin said.

But she maintains that leggings should only be tolerated if worn with a top that covers your bottom: “No matter how good of a body you have, nobody likes to see the outline of your bum, or even worse, your underwear.”

Originally, leggings were seen as an ‘80s trend that died along with shoulder pads and legwarmers, but since making a reappearance they are valued for their comfort and convenience.

“Here in Dallas they are seen as more of a casual piece that pairs easily with oversized tunics or sweaters,” Marin said.

Many girls wear them as workout attire because they are easy to move around in.

According to SMU sophomore Robbi Jo Robyn, wearing leggings means she doesn’t have to change outfits a lot throughout the day.

“If need be, I could go to the gym,” Robyn said.

Like a lot of girls on campus, Robyn likes to wear her leggings paired with boots and a semi-loose shirt on top.

She said, “Most of the time I wear a shirt that covers my bottom.”

Dance minor Jamie Adachi also wears her leggings to the gym.

“The majority of the dancers wear spandex shorts, but if the weather is ridiculously cold, leggings are better,” Adachi said.

She said comfort is one of the reasons she likes leggings, and if they are not see-through, she believes they are more acceptable as pants.

Marin, who is on the executive board of SMU Fashion Week this year, recommends wearing leggings this season with oversized T-shirts and boyish button-downs in materials like chambray and plaid.

“Scarves and boots are also commonly worn to accessorize the bottoms,” she said.

For those headed to the gym, Marin said, “[Leggings are] always really nice to wear with a sleeveless or off-the-shoulder tunic with an exposed colorful sports bra to bring some effortless chic to the gym or track.”

When it comes to her own personal style, however, Marin said she would wear her leggings with “a black long-sleeve slouchy sweater with blue jean shorts and black booties.”

With blurring of the lines between traditional purposes of leggings, tights and pants, Marin stressed that they should all be worn differently.

“Leggings should not be synonymous with tights. They are two different things,” she said. “Tights should only be worn with dresses or even jean shorts for a Nicole Richie look.”

In SMU Greek life there are divided opinions on leggings and how they should be worn.

While some sororities discourage their members from wearing leggings with their lettered jerseys, others are indifferent towards the matter.

Robyn, a member of Delta Gamma sorority, says that while she sometimes wears leggings with her jersey, if the jersey is too short it looks awkward.

So what do guys think about all of this?

According to SMU freshman Kyle Cantrell, leggings are one of the more practical options for girls.

They are warm enough for the colder months, and can be a fashion statement.

Cantrell said that whether sorority girls should wear leggings with their jerseys “depends on the jersey, the leggings and the person.”

“You’ve got to be confident,” he said. 

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)