SMU men’s tennis falls to No. 23 Fighting Irish

SMU lost to University of Notre Dame Sunday in Indiana 6-1. This was their 20th match of the season and their first loss in the past 11 match ups.

The Mustangs were coming off wins from University of Illinois-Chicago and Oklahoma State, winning both matches 6-1. This loss to Notre Dame puts them at 14-6 for the season.

The Mustangs won the doubles point over the Irish. The duo of Joseph Hattrup and Tobias Flood defeated Spencer Talmadge and Niall Fitzgerald 8-3 at line one. Adham el-Effendi and Darren Walsh won 8-6. Artem Baradach and Gaston Cuadranti lost 8-6.

In singles play, Notre Dame took all six wins not giving the Mustangs a chance at the match.

Multiple singles matches were close, including No. 64 Watt and No. 39 Baradach’s who went to a tiebreaker for the second set but Watt capitalized and won the breaker 7-5. This was Baradach’s third loss of the season.

Robert Sajovich of SMU took his opponent to three sets, 6-0, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2 and Mischa Nowicki and el-Effendi both had matches that went to a second set tie breaker but ended up falling a few points short in the end.

Cuadranti and Flood both lost in straight sets.

The season is coming to a close with just four matches left. The next two are at home against University of Texas at Arlington on Wednesday and University of California at Santa Barbara over the weekend.

After that comes the cross-town rivalry match against TCU and then a Conference USA match against Rice.

The Conference tournament will take place at the end of April in Tulsa, Okla. to conclude the Mustang’s season.