SMU women’s tennis wins seventh consecutive match over Wichita State 5-2

The No. 32 SMU women’s tennis team traveled to Wichita, Kansas and claimed its seventh straight victory Saturday over Wichita State, 5-2 in the regular season finale.

The Mustangs finished the season by winning 10 of their last 11 matches to improve their record to 19-4 overall this spring season.

The Mustangs found early success in doubles competition, as they claimed the point in dramatic fashion.

Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha were first off the courts and gave SMU the early 1-0 advantage after they defeated Lutfiana Budiharto and Raphaela Zotter, 8-3

Wichita State knotted up the score when Delia Damaschin and Carla Venticinque took down Shahzoda Hatamova and Ashley Turpin, 8-3.

SMU juniors Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova sealed the doubles point for the Mustangs as they beat Veronika Blaskova and Montse Blasco Fernandez in a tight match, 8-6.

The Mustangs saw similar success in singles play, taking four out of six matches to secure the victory over the Shockers.

No. 9 Lesniak earned her 16th consecutive singles victory as she made quick work of Budiharto 6-0, 6-2, while her doubles partner No. 117 Malyarchikova trounced Blaskova to set the tone and give the Mustangs a 3-0 lead.

Wichita State appeared to be right back in the thick of things after Fernandez trimmed the lead with her 6-1, 6-3 victory over Kris Roberts.

However, the Shockers could not continue to rally, and SMU clinched the match after Steinbauer cruised past Venticinque 6-2, 6-4.

Also picking up a win for SMU was Cieplucha, who was last off the courts after her 7-6, 3-6, 10-3 win over Zotter.

SMU returns to the courts on Thursday, April 21 when they travel to Orlando, Fla. to take part in the Conference USA Championships.