Mustangs end SMU Doubletree Classic 2-1

Michael Danser/The Daily Campus

(Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

SMU volleyball came out swinging this weekend as they hosted the Doubletree Classic in Moody Coliseum.  The Mustangs won their first two matches of the tournament, defeating Texas Tech and Texas State, but came up short against UC Davis Saturday afternoon.

The Mustangs swept Texas Tech (25-15, 25-20, 25-17) in their first match Friday. Sidney Stewart, who was named Conference USA’s “Defensive Player of the Week” last week, led the Mustangs with 13 digs.  Kathryn Wilkerson tallied her third double-double of the season with 12 kills and 10 digs.  Junior Jessica Oliver also added nine kills and four blocks in the win.

The Mustangs continued their winning streak in their second match of the day by defeating the Texas State Bobcats 3-1.  Dana Powell, who had 18 kills and 14 digs, notched her third double-double of the season.  Stewart continued to lead the Mustangs in digs for the fourth consecutive match with 28. The Mustangs won the close first set 25-23, and the second set 25-23, before ending their ten-game winning streak with a loss to the Bobcats in the third set 25-18.  The Mustangs fought back and won the fourth set 25-20, giving the team their best season start since 2007.

The UC Davis Aggie served the Mustangs with their first loss of the year, 3-1, on Saturday.  Wilkerson led the Mustangs in kills with 20 and had 10 digs, earning her fourth double-double of the season.  Powell also notched her fourth double-double of the season with 12 kills and 10 digs.   Doubletree Invitational MVP Betsy Sedlak, who had 13 kills and four blocks in the match, helped lead the Aggies to their win.

Next up for SMU: The Lobo Comcast Challenge in Albuquerque, N.M. next weekend where the Mustangs will play teams from Sacramento State, UC Santa Barbara, and host New Mexico.