Pope named C-USA player of the week

SMU junior linebacker Kevin Pope had one heck of a game against Houston, as did most of the SMU team, but Pope was chosen by Conference USA as the Special Teams Player of the Week.

Pope returned a fumble on the opening kickoff of the second half for a touchdown and also recovered a fumble on another special teams play for the Mustangs.

“I felt real good. I knew it was just a matter of time, but I just got to keep working hard and putting in the work in practice and it’s going to pay off in game-time,” Pope said.

The two fumbles recovered by Pope were two of nine turnovers forced by the Mustangs against the Cougars, who fell 72-48 to the Mustangs – its first loss to the Mustangs in Dallas since 1992.

“Every day coach (Tom)Mason, coach Joe (Haering) and coach (Frank) Ganz always stress getting the ball out any chance you have so we practice that everyday so it turns over into the game,” Pope said.

Pope has been getting more and more playing time this season for the Mustangs, who have plenty of depth at linebacker and it shows on special teams as well for the Mustangs.

Pope was converted to linebacker after his freshman season at running back and the move has Pope reaping the benefits. He has fit nicely in the defensive coordinator Tom Mason’s 3-4 scheme even while playing as a backup.

“It really doesn’t affect it. I mean Taylor Reed is a senior so I am just doing what I can in a backup role and backing him up and giving him rest when he’s tired,” Pope, the Mt. Enterprise, Texas native, said of the competition.

The Mustangs have been improving each week on special teams and defense because the team has needed big plays during the offense’s troublesome season thus far. That changed against Houston as SMU saw its most complete game of the season and now are 2-1 in C-USA play and are still in contention for the West Division title.

Pope is the third SMU player to earn a weekly honor from C-USA in 2012, as defensive back Kenneth Acker and linebacker Randall Joyner have each been chosen previously. C-USA Football Players of the Week are voted on by a panel of the league’s media.