SMU women’s tennis falls to No. 30 ranked Golden Hurricane 5-2

SMU womens tennis falls to No. 30 ranked Golden Hurricane 5-2
MICHAEL DANSER/ The Daily Campus

(MICHAEL DANSER/ The Daily Campus)

The University of Tulsa arrived in Dallas with a five game winning streak and left with their sixth consecutive victory Friday afternoon at Turpin Tennis Center.

The No. 30 ranked Golden Hurricanes captured the doubles point and claimed four of the six singles matches en route to a 5-2 thrashing of No. 37 SMU.

The Mustangs now drop to 9-3 overall this spring season.

Tulsa displayed their early dominance in doubles competition, earning the doubles point in dramatic fashion.

SMU juniors Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova made quick work of Tulsa pair Alexandra Kichoutkin and Jo-Anne Karaitianna, 8-4 at the No. 1 line to take a 1-0 lead.

However, the Golden Hurricane got back in the thick of things after Bonny Davidson and Michelle Farley took down the SMU pair of Kris Roberts and Shahzoda Hatamova, 8-4 to even things up.

Anastasia Erofeeva and Ewa Szatkowska clinched the doubles point for the Golden Hurricanes with a 9-8 (7-4) win over Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha.

Steinbauer and Cieplucha now fall to 8-2 overall this spring.

The Golden Hurricanes struggled early in singles play but turned up the heat by winning the final three matches.

Sam Vickers quickly ousted Roberts 6-0, 6-1 to kick off singles competition and gave Tulsa a 2-0 lead.

The Mustangs would rally behind No. 8 ranked Lesniak and her doubles partner Malyarchikova.

Lesniak took care of business against Kichoutkin 6-3, 6-3 and Malyarchikova destroyed Karaitianna 6-1, 6-1, knotting the score up at two apiece.

But the Golden Hurricane proved to be too strong as Farley defeated Steinbauer 6-3, 6-0 from the third slot, Erofeeva won a tight match against Cieplucha 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 at No. 2, and Szatkowska claimed a 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 over Hatamova from the fifth position.

SMU returns to the courts on March 10 when they travel to Las Vegas to take on University of Nevada at Las Vegas.