Three SMU swimmers earn Conference USA Swimming and Diving specialty awards

Therese Svendsen, Nina Rangelova and Genny Konicke all earned the Conference USA Swimming and Diving specialty awards voted on by the league’s coaches.

Rangelova earned Freshman Swimmer of the Year, Konicke the Newcomer of the Year and Svendsen C-USA Swimmer of the Year for a consecutive year.

Konicke recently transferred to SMU and competed in the C-USA championships this year, where she won two gold medals. One of her medals was in the 200-yard freestyle relay where her team had a time of 1:31.84, which was also the fastest of the season. She also placed first in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 52.80. She qualified for the NCAA championships when she came in 44th in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 54.03.

Freshman Rangelova earned three gold medals and one silver at the C-USA Championships. Her gold medals were in the 400-yard medley relay, 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle.

Her silver was in the 100-yard freestyle. She also earned the fastest time in the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:00.89. 

Rangelova also participated in the NCAA Championships where she placed 27th in the 200-yard freestyle, 53rd in the 100-yard freestyle and 54th in the 500-yard freestyle. Her time of 50.01 in the 100-yard free style was the best she has ever done. 

The final All-Conference team member was Svendsen. The SMU junior was given All-American status after placing ninth in the 100-yard backstroke at the NCAA Championships where she set a record with a time of 52.35 seconds.

At the C-USA Championships, she won six gold medals in the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke, 200-yard medley relay, 800-yard freestyle relay, 200-yard individual medley and 400-yard medley relay.

She also improved her past personal best times in the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke with times of 52.62 and 1:53.82.