SMU, HPHS host Packers for Super Bowl despite icy conditions

On a day when SMU cancelled classes due to inclement weather, the Green Bay Packers’ 12:30 p.m. arrival on campus went unnoticed and created little fan fare. A few diehard fans gathered behind a portable gate in the freezing weather to see Aaron Rodgers and company step off the charter buses and walk into the Lloyd All Sports Center while others observed from their dorms.

Early on in the week, a massive buzz surrounded the news that one of the NFL’s most historically successful teams was practicing at SMU. Chatter and excitement spread around campus like wildfire when students thought they would be able to watch the Packers practice before Super Bowl XLV.

As the week went by, students found out the Packers practices were going to be closed off to the public. All hopes and dreams of seeing Green Bay practice at least once faded away along with the warm weather. The SMU practice field was covered up to keep spectators out.

“Being that we pay an extreme amount of money to go to this school, I believe it is absolute rubbish that we do not get to see the Packers,” freshman Aleks Bologna said.

To make matters worse, Green Bay dressed out on campus but then shipped out to Highland Park High School where they practiced in their indoor facility.

There will be no chance of catching a Packer practice this week, but the possibility of catching a glimpse of at least a couple of players still remains.

SMU alumnus Ted Thompson is the current executive vice president and general manager of the Green Bay Packers and is one of the many reasons the Packers have been successful in post Brett Favre era. Thompson has been one of the most successful general managers in the NFL after taking over in 2005. In 2008, he received the George Young NFL Executive of the Year award from Sporting News.

At SMU, Thompson was a three-year starter (1972-74) at linebacker and team captain (‘74) for the Mustangs, earning Academic All-Southwest Conference honors and graduating with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. After his time on the Hilltop, Thompson moved on to the NFL and enjoyed a 10 year playing career with the Houston Oilers (1975-84).

Sanders finished the season with 28 receptions for 376 yards and 2 touchdowns along with 628 kick return yards in 13 games. During the Steeler’s playoff run, Sanders has caught 5 passes for 74 yards.

Sanders was selected by Pittsburgh in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. As a senior at SMU in 2009, he was named an Honorable Mention All-American by SportsIllustrated.com and helped lead the Mustangs to their first bowl win in 25 years. Sanders left SMU ranked as the school’s all-time leader in career catches, TD catches and yards, single-season and single-game receptions and single-season yardage.

Super Bowl XLV is slated for a 5:29 p.m. start on Sunday at Cowboys Stadium.