SMU women’s tennis earns fifth straight win over Rice 5-2

After an impressive 5-2 win over cross town rival No. 61 TCU in its final regular season home match last week, the No. 34 SMU Women’s tennis team claimed its fifth straight win Saturday in Houston over No. 62 Rice, 5-2.

The Mustangs have now won eight of their last nine matches to improve their record to 17-4 overall this spring season.

SMU displayed its early dominance in doubles competition, earning the doubles point by winning two of the three matches.

Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha were first off the courts and gave SMU the early 1-0 advantage after they defeated Alex Rasch and Dominique Harmath, 8-3.

SMU juniors Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova made quick work of Rice pair Rebekka Hanle and Ana Guzman, 8-2, at the No. 1 line to clinch the doubles point for the Mustangs.

However, the Owls avoided the doubles sweep after Jessica Jackson and Daniella Trigo took down the SMU pair of Ashley Turpin and Shahzoda Hatamova, 8-6, at the No. 3 line.

The Mustangs took four out of six matches in singles play to secure the victory over their Conference USA foe.

No. 9 Lesniak earned her 14th consecutive singles victory after making quick work of Hanle 6-0, 7-5. Lesniak’s 36th win this season moves her up to third place on SMU’s all-time single season wins list. The Poland native is also fifth place on the program’s all-time career wins list with 79.

Kimberly Anicete got Rice right back in the thick of things as she defeated Kris Roberts 6-3, 6-0. Harmath evened the score a two a piece after dismantling Cieplucha 6-2, 6-2; however, SMU reeled off three straight victories to fend off a furious Owl flurry.

Steinbauer and No. 117 Malyarchikova earned wins over Guzman and Jackson, respectively, putting the Mustangs up for good. Hatamova added the finishing touches with her dramatic 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 victory over Trigo.