Men’s basketball team holds second open tryout

For the second straight season, the SMU men’s basketball team held open tryouts for walk-on players. Last night 13 students went to Moody Coliseum in the first step of making the team.

Last year’s tryout produced spots on the team for Mike Norton, Bryan Remphrey and Thomas Andrews. Norton and Remphrey were back again this year to reclaim their places on the roster.

“It was easier [this year],” Norton said. “I knew what to expect.”

There were also considerably fewer people who came to try out this season, and were a more capable group on the court.

“There were a lot less people here this year,” Remphrey said. “Makes it easier for the coaches to see a refined group of people.”

But with just one hour, how does a person make an impression?

“To play for coach [Matt] Doherty you have to have toughness,” assistant coach Lance Irvin said.

Irvin administered the tryouts and will use what he saw along with tape from the tryout when he talks to Doherty.

Also at the tryout were players currently on the team. They did not participate in any of the drills, but provided commentary and tips from the sidelines.

Last year the three walk ons mostly ran the scout team in practices and in a few of the earlier games saw limited time toward the ends of games. Irvin expects the same from whoever makes the team this year.

Irvin will talk to Doherty tonight and they will invite six or seven participants back tomorrow and make a decision from there.

“We want to give them two opportunities to impress the coaches and the players,” Irvin said.

Irvin thinks that at least three of the men have a good chance to make the team. But they will have to come out and perform well again tomorrow night to have a shot.