New beginnings, new coach for offensive line

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
The Mustang offensive line prepares for the snap during play against Tulane Nov. 5, 2011 in Ford Stadium.

The Mustang offensive line prepares for the snap during play against Tulane Nov. 5, 2011 in Ford Stadium. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

The Mustang offensive line has been one of the units on the football team that has been under the most scrutiny this spring after the graduation of all five starting linemen.

The line is crucial to the success of the offense not just to protect the quarterback and open running lanes, but because the players up front make all the protection adjustments and calls to get the complicated blocking schemes right.

“This offense has evolved. There are different nuances and adjustments, which Coach [June] Jones has made over the years and I like the adjustments that he has made. I think it has made the offense better,” Offensive line coach Bob Palcic said earlier this spring.

The scheme that Jones’ run’n’shoot offense runs is one that needs athletic offensive linemen that can move and pull easily for pass protection and run blocking.

This group of offensive linemen have been moved around a lot this spring and it is interesting to see how they have meshed so far with all the changes.

Jones talked about how important it was finding someone that is familiar with the schemes of the offense.

“He was my line coach in Atlanta so getting him here I know he is a good technique guy and a fundamental coach,” Jones said. “Just getting those kids taught and mentally being on top of their game is what we’ll spend a lot of time on in the spring so that they’re ready come fall to be potential starters.”

The shuffling of the offensive line has seen fifth-year senior Blake McJunkin getting time at left guard even after starting a year at center before he was hurt last year.

Sophomore Taylor Lasecki has been taking most of the reps at center.

Left tackle is currently being manned by sophomore Kris Weeks, who certainly passes the eye test, but continues to learn more everyday.

“I’m just getting better. I am the younger guy so I do rely a lot on the older guys to help me out,” Weeks said. “But physical-wise I am able to handle it and play at that level.”

The line relies on all of them being on the same page and that starts with their relationship off the field that helps them communicate on the field.

“Our chemistry is in the locker room,” Weeks said. “It’s more than just on the field. When we make moves like this and we’re real good friends inside the locker room and we understand each other and we know what our habits are then making changes like that doesn’t affect us in a negative way at all.”

If the offensive line can continue to grow and develop from the relatively young unit that it is, the running attack will have the space to continue to be successful and that will take pressure off the new quarterback for next year.