SMU women’s tennis head coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner earns 100th career victory

After a 5-2 win over Conference USA foe Rice on Saturday, the No. 34 SMU women’s tennis team remained in Houston, Texas and claimed its sixth straight victory Sunday over Houston, 4-1. The Mustangs have now won nine of their last 10 matches to improve their record to 18-4 overall this spring season.

With the win, Head Coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner became the first SMU women’s tennis coach to reach 100 victories. Over her five years on the Hilltop, Meisner has compiled an impressive 100-27 record.

Meisner helped guide the Mustangs to early success in doubles competition, as SMU claimed the doubles point by winning two straight matches.

Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha were first off the courts and gave SMU the early 1-0 advantage after they demolished Bryony Hunter and Dionne Sanders, 8-0.

SMU juniors Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova made quick work of Houston pair Celia Fraser and Giorgia Pozzan, 8-3 at the No. 1 line to clinch the doubles point for the Mustangs.

The Mustangs took three out of four matches in singles play to secure the victory over the Cougars.

Houston appeared to be right back in the thick of things after Sanders tied things up with her 6-2, 6-0 victory over Kris Roberts. However, Houston could not continue to rally, and SMU reeled off three straight victories.

The Mustangs regained the lead after Shahzoda Hatamova made quick work of Maja Kazimieruk, 6-1, 6-1. No. 117 Malyarchikova extended the SMU lead to 3-1 after her 6-1, 6-2 win over Pozzan.

No. 9 Lesniak, who was named Conference USA Player of the Week on Tuesday, added the finishing touches as she earned her 15th consecutive singles victory after defeating Fraser 7-5, 6-2.

SMU returns to the courts Saturday, traveling to Wichita, Kansas to take on Wichita State at 5 p.m.