SMU women’s soccer ties Memphis 3-3

The SMU Women’s Soccer team tied with the No. 6 Memphis Tigers, 3-3 Friday night in Memphis.

The Mustangs struck first in the 25th minute when freshman forward Olivia Elliot had an unassisted goal.

SMU went up 2-0 on the Tigers 13 minutes later with another unassisted goal from freshman forward, Briana Gaines. Gaines stole the ball and shot from 25 yards out for her first goal of the season.

The Tigers, who out shot the Mustangs 31-10, went on a scoring spree in the 70th minute when they scored three goals within six minutes of each other. It started in the 70th minute when sophomore Christobel Oduro scored off the assist from senior forward Melissa Smith to cut SMU’s lead in half.

Only 30 seconds later, freshman forward and midfielder Kaitlyn Atkins got one past diving goalkeeper Courtney Webb to even the match at 2-2. The Tigers took the lead five minutes later off a free kick 20 yards out by senior defender Lizzy Simonin.

The Mustangs tied the game with only a minute and a half to play when sophomore defender Amelia Ambrose shot from the top of the box for her second goal of the season.

The game would go into two scoreless overtime periods and ended in a 3-3 draw. The draw puts the women’s record at 7-5-1 and 3-1-1 in Conference USA.

The Mustangs next game is Sunday against University of Alabama-Birmingham at 2:00 pm.