SMU women’s tennis claims fifth win against UCF 5-4 at home

After an impressive 6-1 win over No. 66 UC Santa Barbara last week, the No. 37 SMU Women’s tennis team claimed its fifth win in its last six games Saturday at Turpin Tennis Stadium.

The Mustangs improve to 14-4 overall this spring season after their 5-2 victory over Conference USA foe Central Florida.

UCF upset SMU in doubles play after forcing two tie breaking matches.

SMU’s only victory came at the top line where juniors Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova just edged Genevieve Lorbergs and Courtney Griffith 9-8 (8-6).

The Black Knights clinched the doubles point in dramatic fashion when Jenny Frisell and Alexis Rodriguez downed Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha in a tie-breaker 9-8 (7-1).

UCF also earned a win from Andrea Yacaman and Taylor Dubins who breezed by Kris Roberts and Shahzoda Hatamova, 8-4.

The Mustangs separated themselves from the Black Knights in singles play, taking five out of six matches.

No. 117 Malyarchikova was off the courts first after her impressive 6-0, 6-0 victory over Lorbegs. Cielpucha was off next after dismantling Rodriguez 6-2, 6-1 which gave SMU a 2-1 lead.

After being named Conference USA Player of the Week last week, No. 9 Lesniak made quick work of Frisell 6-1, 6-2. Hatamova and Steinbauer also earned victories over Griffith and Jenna Doerfler respectively and extended the Mustang lead, 5-1.

Josephine Haraldson helped UCF avoid being swept in singles action when she defeated Roberts 6-2, 6-2 .

SMU returns to the courts Tuesday at 2 p.m., hosting cross town rival No. 52 TCU at Turpin Tennis Stadium.