Women’s basketball looks to extend winning streak against UAB

Natalie Peters was named Conference USA Co-Player of the week with teammate Stefanie Kons (pictured below) for their play in the Red Raider Round Up, played at Texas Tech. The Mustangs won the tournament going 3-0.
John Schreiber

SMU’s Akil Simpson (5) driving past a ULM defender. (Courtesy of SMU Athletics)

On Thursday the Mustangs will take on fellow Conference USA member UAB at 7 p.m. in Moody Coliseum.

The Mustangs are riding a eight game win streak into Thursday night, and look to keep their perfect record in Conference USA. During their eight game streak, the Mustangs are averaging 73 points a game, while only allowing 60 points a game, defensively.

For the Mustangs, there are a couple of players that are playing their best basketball of the season during the current win streak.

Coming off of her third Conference USA Player of The Week award, Keena Mays will look to continue her monstrous season.

Another top scorer for SMU, Alisha Filmore, who had 21 points for the Mustangs her last time out, will be a key factor in this game.

With SMU’s three top scorer all averaging over 10 points a game, contributions from all of them will be necessary in order to move the streak to nine games.

UAB, 13-7 (4-3), comes into Thursday’s game with a two game losing streak. Most recently, the Blazers lost to Rice, 61-53, who had been on their own five game losing streak.

The Mustangs will look to revenge their loss from last year against UAB and to keep their momentum rolling in the
right direction.