Women’s Tennis set for take off against Air Force

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair spoke to SMU and area high school students about global change yesterday afternoon at the Hart Global Leaders Forum in McFarlin Auditorium.
John Schreiber

SMU senior tennis player Aleksandra Malyarchikova preparing to return a volley. (Courtesy of SMUMustangs.com)

SMU women’s tennis (2-3) took on Northwestern State (2-2) on Monday leaving with a 6-1 victory. In doubles, the Mustangs won all three matches to earn the first point and in singles took five of the six, winning in straight sets.

“This is a solid win over a good team,” said head coach Kati Gyulai. “Our targets were accurate in doubles when it mattered, and we were able to close out those matches to put us up 1-0. We didn’t look back and kept closing out the singles matches. We have a couple of days for practice before we host Air Force.”

The Mustangs will host Air Force Feb. 16 . Air Force is coming off of a 7-0 loss to the University of Oregon taking the Flacons record to 4-2.

SMU’s Edyta Cieplucha (14-6) No. 12 ranked Mary Anne Macfarlane of Alabama, marking the highest ranked opponent Cieplucha has defeated in her career. Aleksandra Malyarchikova (11-4) recently defeated the LSU’s No. 112 Kaitlin Burns.

Cieplucha and Malyarchikova represented SMU’s womens tennis in the latest ITA tennis rankings; Cieplucha No. 93 and Malyarchikova No. 118.

The Mustangs will take on Air Force this Saturday at 1 p.m.