Mustangs roll Pitt 28-6 in bowl

SMU players celebrate their 28-6 win over Pittsburgh in the BBVA Compass Bowl NCAA college football game on Saturday, Jan. 7 in Birmingham, Ala.
Associated Press

SMU players celebrate their 28-6 win over Pittsburgh in the BBVA Compass Bowl NCAA college football game on Saturday, Jan. 7 in Birmingham, Ala. (Associated Press)

BIRMINGHAM, ALA. – The SMU Mustangs (7-5) found the scoreboard early in the BBVA Compass Bowl scoring 21 points in the first half, the most points scored in a single quarter all season. A game that would go on to be a rolling 28-6 win over the Pittsburg Panthers (6-6).

J.J. McDermott was 16-for-25 for 240 yards and a touchdown, Rishaad Wimbley rushed for two touchdowns and Darius Johnson caught seven passes for 121 yards and a touchdown. 

Both sides of the ball were in control through out the entire game. “I was really proud of the defense,” said SMU head coach June Jones. “The defense has been that way all year. It’s been the reason we won eight games. We haven’t been as sharp on offense as have in years past, but we didn’t turn the ball over today.”

Pittsburg’s offense took a beating as quarterback Tino Sunseri was sacked seven times and threw one interception, although Sunseri threw for 190 yards on 19-of-28 for the Panthers. 

Pitt made their way onto the scoreboard in the second quarter when Kevin Harper kicked a clean 32-yard field goal. The play clock continued to roll as Pitt tried to cut the Mustangs lead to 15 going into halftime, but Harpers 47-yard attempt was no good.

The Mustangs started the 3rd quarter with a score on their first possession with a 73-yard drive down the field to go up 28-3.

Pitt answered with a field goal but the Mustangs stopped the Panthers the rest of the game only allowing one 34-yard field goal to make it 28-6.

This was the second bowl win in three consecutive bowl game appearances. As well as the 100th collegiate career win for head coach June Jones.

SMU wide receiver Jeremy Johnson (17) celebrates with wide receiver Darius Johnson (3) after a touchdown against Pittsburgh in the first half of the BBVA Compass Bowl NCAA college football game on Saturday, Jan. 7 in Birmingham, Ala. (Associated Press)