Men’s Mustang soccer to take on Tulsa Golden Hurricanes on Wednesday

SMU is calling for a “Red Out” at Westcott Field on Wednesday night, when the No. 6 Mustangs take on their rival, the No. 17 Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

Last season the men’s soccer team defeated then- No. 16 Tulsa 3-2. SMU has as 24-6-3 all-time series record against Tulsa.

The Mustangs are currently 11-1-0 on the season and 3-1-0 on Conference USA play, while the Golden Hurricane is 7-3-0 on the season and 1-1-0 on conference play.

The Mustangs were recently ranked No. 6 in this week’s NSCAA/HendrickCars.com National Rankings, and first in the Midwest regional rankings.

Last week, the Ponies downed Marshall 2-1 on Oct. 10, and No. 18 South Carolina 3-1 on Oct. 6. The team was also ranked second in the country in the first NCAA Ratings Percentage Index.

On Oct. 10 at Westcott Field, freshman Juan Castillo scored the first goal of the game at the 25th minute mark, followed by Marshall’s goal in the 40th minute. Freshman midfielder Zach Barnes scored the game winning goal in overtime. It was his fourth of the season and second game winner.

Barnes was named C-USA Player of the Week and to  the  TopDrawerSoccer.com National Team of the Week for his performance against Marshall and South Carolina. Barnes scored a goal in each game.

Tulsa had their best start to the season in school history after beginning the year with six game wins.

On Saturday, Tulsa tied Marshall 1-1. Tulsa was lead by Ashley McInnes with the only goal of the game and nine goal attempts. He currently has six games on the season.

SMU will face Tulsa at 7 p.m. at Westcott Field.  The game is a “Pack the House” event.  SMU students, faculty and staff are encouraged to join their SMU athletes in the stands. Admission is free for those with a student ID.

Following Wednesday’s match, the Mustangs will travel to Memphis to face the Tigers on Saturday.