The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

Countdown to SMU Fashion Week: One month

A phone call was all it took to turn senior Grace Davis’ dreams into reality.

This dream will include a full week of fashion on SMU’s campus from March 26 to March 30.

It all started with a phone call to the director of SMU’s newly debuted fashion media program, Camille Kraeplin.

Davis made the call in August of 2011 after she was inspired by the fashion week at her brother’s school, University of Pennsylvania.

“I thought it was something SMU could do very easily and it would be a great event to promote the new Fashion Media minor.” “I wanted an event for SMU students who are thinking or planning on going into the fashion industry to see that you really can do it and make a career out of your love for the industry,” Davis said.

It’s obvious fashion has a presence on campus through photo blogs like “Hilltop Glossy,” recently picked up by D Magazine, and the talent of SMU’s students could not be hidden any longer.

The students themselves will get to show their abilities at the fashion show the last day of the week-long event, March 30, at the annual Retail Club fashion show.

The clothes will be provided by Stanley Korshak and styled by the executive members of Retail Club.

All of the events for the week will take place on campus except for the launch party on March 26 at Tootsie’s in Preston Center.

The following three days will include panels of fashion industry professionals who will give advice on how they got to where they are.

The first panel on Tuesday will be all about journalism and blogging.

The hot topic will be how you can make blogging into a business.

The second panel on Wednesday will be about business in the fashion industry with a focus on the buying aspect.

“On Thursday, there will be a panel about being a stylist and how to get into that,” Davis said.

After the last panel on Thursday, there will be a showing of the fashion photography students’ work.

All of the panels and events are set to start at 6 p.m. and are free and open to both students and the public.

There will be events on campus throughout school hours that week that students can participate in.

Local boutiques are also getting involved with the week to promote their businesses.

“The Fashion Week committee will be selling cards that give 10 percent off to stores in the SMU community, and we will also be giving away goody bags at the launch party at Tootsie’s,” Davis said.

The team is doing everything they can to promote the event, and if students are interested in doing the same they can purchase a T-shirt. Shirts are already on sale and will be available for preorder until March 2.

Details on T-shirt sales and other information can be found by “liking” the SMU Fashion Week Facebook page, as well as follow the event, @smufashionweek, on Twitter for updates.

There is also a website that is updated frequently containing lots of information www.smufashionweek.com.

If students can’t find the answers they’re looking for there, they can email the team at [email protected].