Senate 101

How Senate can work for you

It’s politics as usual on the Hilltop.

Tuesday, Student Senate met in an organizational meeting in preparation for the coming year. Already facing student issues including improving the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports and minority recruitment and retention. Senate is ready to work for you.

Founded in 1915, Senate is the the oldest student organization on campus. It is comprised of approximately 200 students and is the official student legislative body.

Since its formation, Senate has played an integral part in life at SMU. Its accomplishments include creating the Pony Express debit card, improving lighting on campus, starting and supporting SMU Rides, as well as helping charter over 160 student organizations.

Senate is made up of elected officials from Dedman I, Dedman II, The Cox School of Business, The School of Engineering, The Meadows School of the Arts and The Dedman School of Law. Each school elects one senator for every 300 students enrolled. There are also minority senators who represent African-, Asian- and Hispanic-Americans, as well as International students.

Senate meets at 3:30 p.m. every Tuesday in the Forum of the Hughes-Trigg Student Center. The first meeting of the fall semester will be held Sept. 3.

At the beginning of each meeting, members of the SMU community are given the chance to present their thoughts and ideas at the Speaker’s Podium. Those interested must sign up for a time to speak to the Senate.

Eleven committees make up Student Senate (see below). These committees are composed of members of the student body. While senators are required to be on a committee, ideally each committee is made up of the general student population. Applications for committees are due at 5 p.m. Sept. 9 in the Student Activities Center. At that time students can also sign up for an interview.

The Senate ad director position is still open. The job encompasses designing and placing weekly ads that appear in The Daily Campus.

For more information visit the Student Senate offices located on the third floor of the student center, or call 214-768-4448/4449.

Senate committees:
Specific locations within the Hughes-Trigg Student Center will be announced.

Academic enhancement: This committee works to improve SMU’s academic image. 7 p.m. Wednesday

Appropriations: Want to decide where your money goes? This group decides which chartered organizations get a piece of the pie. 8 p.m. Monday

Communications: Like PR? This committee promotes Senate awareness. 5 p.m. Wednesday

Diversity: . Increasing awareness of other’s ethnic and cultural issues is the goal. The chair is open as well as positions on the committee. TBA

Environment: Work for social and aesthetic beauty on campus. 5 p.m. 2nd and 4th Wednesdays

Finance: Like numbers? This committee keeps up with the spending of chartered student organizations and allocates money through special projects, capital and residual funds. 8 p.m. Monday

Lobbying: You act as the liaison between the university and federal and state legislatures. TBA

Membership: This committee screens candidates and runs elections. 6 p.m. Wednesday

Organizations: Want to form a new organization? This is the committee to work with. It decides who gets to be chartered and makes recommendations to existing groups. 7 p.m. Wednesday

Scholarship: Approximately $10,000 are given in scholarships. This group maintains the endowment and awards scholarships. 6:30 p.m. Wednesday

Student issues: This group takes student concerns to the Senate and helps the student voice be heard. 4 p.m. Wednesday