First Weekend hits the Hilltop

Whether you like it or not, school is back in session. But with every long week of school (in this case, two days) comes the weekend.

This year’s First Weekend will bring the campus together to celebrate what the weekend is all about — three days of relaxation and entertainment

First Weekend activities begin today with an SMU ‘Taste Dallas,’ featuring local restaurants like Roly Poly and Sagnos showcasing their menu specialties. After the food, students can make their way to McFarlin auditorium to catch comedian Jim Breuer, cast member of Saturday Night Live. Program Council president Britton Light says bringing the Goatboy impersonator to SMU was a top prioroty for First Weekend.

“We’re very excited about the comedian this year and of course we’re excited about getting to be a part of the First Weekend activities,” Light said. “Program Council gets a great opportunity in working with bringing the comedian and in welcoming new and returning students.”

This year, the First Weekend crew focused on increasing school spirit with several activities at Ford Stadium. Following a pre-scrimmage barbecue for students at the Gerald J. Ford stadium, Saturday marks a return to the field for the football team.

“The football team has been very helpful in letting us use the stadium and coordinating the scrimmage with us,” said Asad Rahman, student director of First Weekend.

Using Ford Stadium during First Weekend will allow first-years to become familiar with the school as well as provide an opportunity for them to meet upperclassmen, something that First Weekend’s student director, Katie Mobley, is excited about.

“It’s the first opportunity for them to interact with the rest of the school,” Mobley said. “All week they have been doing events with other first-years, but First Weekend allows them to see the atmosphere of the rest of the school.”

Also, the First Sunday celebration has been moved to the South Quad, and will take place at 6 p.m.

“It will be a celebration of faith, not focused on a specific religion, but a faith celebration that everyone can join in on,” said Rahman.