Crain Family Centennial Promenade to connect north, south campus

Courtesy of SMU

(Courtesy of SMU)

SMU’s goal to renovate and enhance campus during the second century campaign continues with the addition of a centennial promenade – a pedestrian walkway connecting the Hughes-Trigg Student Center with the Residential Commons.

Thanks to the Crain Foundation, the Crain Family Centennial Promenade will link the northern end of campus with the south side.

“Crain family members have long-standing ties to SMU, and we are grateful for their vision and generosity in providing this beautiful addition to the campus,” President R. Gerald Turner said in a statement released from SMU Thursday.

“The Crain Family Centennial Promenade will serve as an appropriate capstone to new construction taking place now and into 2015, when we celebrate the 100th anniversary of SMU’s opening.”

The George W. Bush Presidential Center, Moody Coliseum and other buildings will be visible and easily accessed from the promenade.

“In addition to the quality of SMU’s programs, the beauty of our campus is a major attraction to prospective students,” Turner said in a press release. “The addition of this promenade makes the campus more pedestrian-friendly, an attribute that helps build a sense of community.”

Current students are excited about the new project, too.

“It will make walking across campus very convenient for all involved. It’s the next logical step if we truly want a walkable campus,” Mehdi Hami, a first year, said. 

With more than 2,000 members of the SMU community expected to celebrate the second annual Founder’s Day weekend April 20 and 21, students, alumni and faculty are invited to participate in the commemoration of the promenade by contributing $100.

This money will go toward customized pavers from each donor of the Crain Family Centennial Promenade.

In previous years, the Crain Foundation also provided funding for the fountain in front of the Blanton Student Services Building.