Coach of the week: Brent Erwin

The Coach of the Week feature the SMU women’s soccer team, Brent Erwin.

Erwin was a three-year starter at TCU and after graduating in 1997, went on to train with Leeds United of the English Premier League and the Dallas Burn (now FC Dallas) in the MLS.

Erwin’s coaching career began in Bradenton, Fla. as an assistant coach at the IMG Soccer Academy. He also worked with the Under-17 Men’s National Team.

His college career began on the Hilltop in 1999 as an assistant coach for the Men’s Soccer team. SMU posted an 86-19-7 record in his six years working with the Mustangs. They also earned six NCAA tournament berths. The squad ranked No. 1 in the nation for 14 straight weeks in 2001. He trained seven All-Americans, 20 All-Conference Honorees, and one Hermann Trophy winner, named to the top NCAA Men’s soccer player.

Erwin left Dallas for Conference USA rival, Central Florida, in 2005. He stayed in Orlando for two years. The Knights went 13-17-3 in Erwin’s two year tenure and 10-4-3 at home.

Erwin then returned to the Hilltop after being named the women’s soccer coach in 2007. In his 11th year of coaching and his eighth here at SMU, Erwin has led his squad to a 7-5 record and an impressive 6-1 at home.

The Daily Campus sat down with Coach Erwin to learn a little more about him.

DC: If you could coach one soccer player in the world, who would it be?

BE: My favorite player in the world is Cristiano Ronaldo. I think he’s the most complete player in the world.

DC: If you could coach one team in the world, who would it be?

BE: I want to coach our team. Ever since I started coaching, I just wanted to coach at SMU.

DC: What attracts you to the Hilltop so much?

BE: This place is the best of the best. This is where we like to

work. I like the students and I like the athletes and this is where I want to be.

Coach Erwin is excited for the rest of the season after their success at home and their key victory over UCF. The girls are hoping for a NCAA tournament berth, which would be Erwin’s first since his first tenure at SMU.