The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

Mustangs take on Horned Frogs

Michael Danser/The Daily Campus
Junior wide receiver Darius Johnson carries the ball for a first down during play against TCU on Sept. 24, 2010.

Junior wide receiver Darius Johnson carries the ball for a first down during play against TCU on Sept. 24, 2010. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

The Battle for the Iron Skillet is on again. The SMU Mustangs will travel to Fort Worth Saturday to take on the 20th ranked TCU Horned Frogs. The cross-town rivalry began in 1915, the first year SMU put a varsity football team on the field.

The rivalry has resulted in the Horned Frogs having a slight lead in the all-time series record, 43-39-7. TCU was the last to take home the Iron Skillet, defeating the Mustangs in 2010, 41-24. SMU last claimed the Iron Skillet in 2005 at Ford Stadium. This year, the game will be played at TCU’s Amon G. Carter Stadium, a field the Mustangs have not claimed victory on since 1993. The Mustangs greatest success came between 1966 and 1986.

Before SMU was issued the Death Penalty, the Mustangs picked up 15 straight wins over the Frogs and won 19 out of 21 meetings. The long-standing rivalry has spanned over the course of four generations, six wars, 17 presidents and 86 years.

After an unexpected 50-48 loss to Baylor this season, TCU has won three games in a row putting them at 3-1 just like the Mustangs. SMU has yet to knock off a ranked opponent under Coach June Jones.

SMU quarterback J.J. McDermott took over the starting quarterback role against Texas A&M this season. Ever since earning the starting job, McDermott has 1,133 passing yards and currently ranks No. 10 in the nation in that category.

SMU running back Zach Line, who leads the rushing attack for the Mustangs, ranks second in the nation with 11 touchdown runs. During last year’s TCU game, Line rushed for 139-yards on 17 carries and a touchdown. In all, the Mustangs rank 15th in the nation with 321.3 passing yards per game.

The Horned Frogs are led by sophomore quarterback Casey Pachall. He replaces former four-year starter Andy Dalton, who was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals with the 35th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

TCU running backs Waymon James and Matthew Tucker have combined to amass 610 rushing yards and seven touchdowns this year.

The TCU offense ranks 12th in points scored.

This year, TCU has given up an average of 397.3 yards a game, compared to the 228.5 yards they gave up in the 2010 season.

The rivalry could get more interesting, as the most popular talk for conference realignment is on the “super-conference” that could merge before the 2012 season between Mountain West Conference, which TCU represents, and Conference USA, represented by SMU.

Saturday’s game will be the 92nd meeting between TCU and SMU. Fans can catch the game nationally on CBS College Sports at 2:30 p.m.