Men’s basketball signs three top recruits

Three future Mustangs signed National Letters of Intent to play in the 2012-2013 season.

Brian Bernardi, a 6′ 2″ guard from Xaverian High School, New York; Blaise Mbargorba, a 7-foot center from The Peddie School, New Jersey; and, Uche Ofoegbu, a 6′ 6″ forward from John Paul Stevens, San Antonio, will join the team as it heads into the new era of the Big East Conference.

Bernardi averaged 16 points and five assists per game as a junior at Xaverian and was given a three-star rating on Rivals.com. ESPNU ranked him No. 12 in New York’s top recruits.

Mbargorba is No. 98 nationally in the 2012 ESPNU 100 and New Jersey’s No. 3 recruit. Mbargorba turned down offers from Clemson, Vanderbilt, Marquette, Seton Hall and St. Joseph’s to join the Mustangs.

Ofoegbu, Texas’s No.28 recruit, signed his NLI in September. He averaged 19.9 points, 6.8 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 2.6 assists during his junior year and was a First-Team All-District selection and TABC All-Region pick. He is following the footsteps of his brother, Ike Ofoegbu, who played for Head Coach Matt Doherty from 2003-2007.

“This is a fantastic recruiting class,” Doherty said. “I am excited about the quality of these young men. This class will excel in our system and add to the foundation that we have built. This will translate into success for years to come.”